West Manse, Sanday, Orkney
When the Free Church of Scotland was established in 1843, the people of Sanday erected a new church, manse and schoolhouse on a spot almost mid-way between the island's two established kirks.
The church was demolished and the school rebuilt in 1964, but the manse still stands, largely unaltered. For over half a century it was inhabited by the Rev. Matthew Armour, a notable figure in Sanday's church history .
We sit at the very heart of the island, and not only geographically, since the neighbouring school building also houses Sanday Community Centre.